My name is Tom and I am the graphic designer of Baserange, a French and Danish women-swear brand. We’re developing a set of gift packaging paper box. Please see a sketch attached showing the measurements and a rough sketch on.
The rigid paper box features 3D-embossing effect and the logo is printed using black matte foil. We’re a bit in a rush so a swift reply is appreciated. We would need to have a sample the first week of June.
1. As you see in the sketch I have made 2 x 3D-files and I wonder how high/low the emboss can be on the lid of the lift-off lid rigid box? Is 2-3 mm possible?
The embossing is usually 1-2mm. The 2D graphic PDF file would be ok.
2. Also, I have the 3D-files in the 3DS format, is this ok for your CNC-machine to develop the dies?
Then the technician will adjust the machine to develop the dies.
3. We mainly work with environmentally friendly paper. Would it be ok to use 118gsm EGF – Evergreen 50/50 – Balanced White as wrapping paper? It’s made from 50% bamboo/50% recycled paper.
The SBS C1S paperboard will be used as the wrapping paper, because it is 100% virgin pulp. It has the finest printing quality.
4. The emboss we’re looking for is not a usual 2D emboss but a 3D/multilevel emboss. I attach an image of the 3D file I have and also an example of what a multi-level emboss look like. Can you do such a thing?
I understand what you mean. The machine will be adjusted manually by the technician to create the vivid 3D effect. The machine just can not read the 3d fille.
5. I understand, but do you think we can get all the details of structure and textures that are in the 3D file? It’s a very different kind of graphic than the bag you’re currently working on. Yes maybe we should make a try as you suggest, how quickly could you do a test you think?
We can not reproduce all the details of structure and textures that are in the 3D file. I guess your requirement for the embossing is very high. I am just afraid that we can not meet your standard.
Besides the embossing, you can also use the spot UV on the custom paper box, which can create a 3D effect too. On the matte black surface, you have a black spot UV for the image. You will get a great visual effect.
6. Yes, the details are important for this gift paper box as it’s so simple and the 3D emboss is the only feature on it. And you cannot outsource the production of a 3D-die? But maybe it won’t fit your other machines? I guess this emboss need both a positive and negative die. Yes, I’ve used UV varnish in the past but it won’t work for this I’m afraid.
But PDF or AI doesn’t work for such a file. It’s 3D data and is in a 3DS file, a PDF cannot contain such data. Please let me know if 3D is ok with the die maker.
We have a partner company which can create the positive and negative die for us. Just no worry.